Can a DNA test prove half-siblings?
- What is sibling DNA testing?
- How much DNA do half-siblings share?
- Can a sibling DNA test prove half-siblings?
- Where can I buy a sibling DNA test?
What is sibling DNA testing?
A sibling DNA test is a type of DNA test that is used to determine whether two or more individuals are full siblings or half siblings.
For a sibling DNA test, cheek swabs are used to collect DNA samples from each sibling. For the most conclusive result, the laboratory will also request that the biological mother’s DNA sample be submitted for testing, if possible.
Expert geneticists will then analyse and compare the DNA samples to determine the genetic profile of the possible siblings and calculate a sibling DNA index or likelihood ratio.
- A likelihood of greater than 10 supports that the tested individuals are likely to be related
- A likelihood of less than 0.1 is not supportive, meaning the individuals are unlikely to be related
- A likelihood which falls between 0.1 and 10 is considered inconclusive, which means a relationship cannot be determined based on the statistical probability obtained from the analysis
Can a sibling DNA test prove half-siblings?
Yes, a sibling DNA test can be used to prove whether individuals are half-siblings.
Half siblings share one biological parent – the mother or father – and will normally share more DNA than people who are not related.
This means that it is possible to use sibling DNA testing to determine whether individuals are:
- more likely to share one common parent i.e. they are half siblings, with one biological parent (mother or father) in common, or
- are more likely to be unrelated
Where can I buy a sibling DNA test?
It’s easy to order your peace of mind Sibling DNA Test online now from just £149, with next working day results.
Simply place your order online and we will ship your test kit out to you in discreet, plain packaging, for full confidentiality.
Your home test kit will contain everything you need to collect your samples and return them to our UKAS-accredited laboratory for analysis by our in-house geneticists.
For confidential advice on whether this test is right for you, call our friendly and discreet Customer Services team on 0333 600 1300 or email email@example.com.
Home Sibling DNA Test
Order our Sibling DNA Test online now from £149, with next working day results.
Head of Genetics at AlphaBiolabs
Casey joined the AlphaBiolabs team in 2012 and heads up both the DNA and Covid-19 testing teams.
An expert in DNA analysis and a member of the International Society for Forensic Genetics (ISFG), Casey holds an MSc with Distinction in DNA Profiling and a First-Class BSc with Honours in Forensic Science.
Casey is responsible for maintaining the highest quality testing standards, as well as looking for ways to further enhance the service that AlphaBiolabs provides and exploring new and innovative techniques in DNA analysis.