Police have warned clubbers of the dangers of buying illegal drugs after a 19-year-old died after a night out in Liverpool.
John Milburn died in the early hours of Sunday, December 27 after falling ill at Nation – a nightclub in Liverpool’s city centre. The death of the apprentice engineer has sparked fears that dealers may be selling potentially fatal batches of drugs in the North West area.
Investigations into John’s death are continuing but a second man, a 41-year-old believed to have no connection with the teenager, also fell ill at the Boxing Day event and was taken to hospital in a critical condition.
Detective Chief Inspector Andy Ephgrave said: “We are exploring a number of lines of inquiry and it is unclear if both men took illegal substances. The men were not in a group together.
“Our message is clear – it is not only illegal to buy and sell drugs but it can also be very dangerous and potentially fatal. We would urge people not to be tempted to take illegal drugs – you don’t know what they are made of, where they have come from or what effects they may have on you.”
Fears dealers may be selling dangerous batch
Nightclubs in the North West have also issued warnings to revellers about the risks involved in taking illegal substances.
The Warehouse Project in Manchester tweeted its 171,000 followers, saying: “Hearing reports of dangerous and fatal substances within the region. Trying to get a more accurate description. Please be aware and be safe.”
The event at which John died was Cream’s sell-out grand finale night – the final show at the venue in Wolstenholme Square before it is demolished and the site is redeveloped.
The victim’s father Graham Milburn told the Liverpool Echo: “He went to a party that night and he never came home. I want to know who gave my son whatever he had. He wasn’t a drug user. He didn’t leave this house with what ended up in his body.”
Drugs often taken at nightclubs include ecstasy and amphetamines, which are substances we test for with our peace of mind drugs tests. If you’re concerned that someone you love may take recreational drugs, the first step is to talk to them about it and warn them of the potential dangers.
Ecstasy – which is also known as MDMA – can be mixed with other harmful substances. It can cause anxiety, panic attacks and periods of paranoia and confusion.
As it affects the body’s ability to control temperature, it can lead to users becoming overheated and dehydrated. Between 1996 and 2014, it has been involved in 670 deaths in England and Wales.
Amphetamine – often known as speed – can put a strain on the heart and users can suffer from hallucinations and delusions. It is particularly dangerous when taken with alcohol or anti-depressants.