- Find out your biogeographic ancestry today
- High accuracy at low cost: only £129!
- Simple test involves cheek cell collection, no blood required
- Results in 4–5 weeks from receipt of sample at the laboratory
- Award-winning UK laboratory
- TV production companies including ITV and the BBC trust us for their DNA testing
Ancestry DNA testing from AlphaBiolabs
If you are curious and interested in researching your family history, or you simply want to learn more about your background, ancestry testing can provide you with a clearer understanding of your genetic ancestry and provide a platform for further research about your likely ancestors.
Our DNA Origins testing can determine your biogeographic ancestry by providing an estimated percentage of ancestry from the four founding population groups:
- European. This people group includes Europeans, South Asians and Middle Easterners
- African. This group includes people with roots in the Sub-Saharan region of Africa
- East Asian. This people group includes the Koreans, Chinese, Japanese and Pacific Islanders
- Indigenous American. This group is composed of people who migrated to inhabit North, South and Central America
Ancestry DNA testing does not state or establish a person’s race; but provides an estimate of genetic ancestry or heritage.
An example of a Test Certificate displaying your ancestral breakdown in percentage terms could be as follows:
View a sample report here.
Four easy steps for your ancestry testing
Buy your collection kit
Collect your cheek cell DNA samples
Post back to our laboratory
Receive your results by email in 4–5 weeks
About biogeographical ancestry
It’s important to bear in mind that these founding populations refer to a group of people with combined ancestry that live in certain geopolitical areas with ‘blurred boundaries’. As such, biogeography is used to describe your ancestral make up.
In defining your racial background, our DNA ancestry testing also delivers a statistical approximation of an individual’s biogeographical ancestry.
Biogeographical ancestry is a way of explaining the proportional ancestry of a person that is independent of race as frequently reported by social or political conventions. It describes populations that share comparable DNA markers because of a mixed ancestry, which could cross a number of geographical areas. After all, there is no biological definition of ‘race’.
What’s included in your Ancestry DNA testing kit?
- A simple DNA sample collection kit containing cheek swabs with step-by-step instructions
- A Test Certificate displaying your ancestral breakdown in percentage terms
- A comprehensive manual that explains your results and provides additional information about both ancestry testing and human migration history
Purchase your ancestry DNA testing kit today for just £129 and discover your true heritage.
TV production companies including ITV and the BBC trust us for their DNA testing
What are the founding populations?
The categories of the founding populations specified in the test report are used for conciseness and practicality. For example, European population indicates people of collective ‘proto-European’ ancestry, which includes not only populations residing within the European continent, but also encompasses the Middle East and South Asia.
Our definition of this founding population is based on evolutionary and anthropologic studies which show that these peoples’ common ancestor ascended from anatomically modern humans who travelled out of Africa approximately 50,000 years ago to inhabit the Fertile Crescent area of the Middle East: this today includes the counties of Iraq, Palestine, Jordan, Lebanon, Israel and Syria, and also includes the territory between the Euphrates and Tigris rivers.
As a result, people living in Europe, the Middle East and South Asia (India) share common ancestral markers dating back 10 to 50,000 years ago. For example, South Asian Indians are found to have considerable, but lower, levels of ‘European’ markers while Middle Easterners display an elevated level of ‘European’ markers.
In the AlphaBiolabs DNA ancestry test, the average South Asian Indian displays 58% European ancestry, while Middle Easterners have between 80–90% European ancestry.