- Find your ancestors today for only £169!
- No blood is needed, just a simple cheek cell sample
- Results in 4–5 weeks from receipt of your sample at the laboratory
- The media and TV production companies trust us for testing
Paternal lineage ancestry testing from AlphaBiolabs
When testing your Y-chromosomal DNA (Y-DNA), AlphaBiolabs can reveal your ancient paternal heritage. This test is based on the fact that Y-DNA is paternally inherited and so enables genealogical researchers to trace paternal lineage far back in time. In a similar way mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA) is maternally inherited and is used to determine maternal heritage (see Maternal lineage). The exclusive paternal contribution of Y-DNA means that your paternal line can be traced as far back as a clan’s paternal founder.
Discover your haplogroup
The specificity of your Y-chromosomal DNA (Y-DNA) can even place you in a haplogroup. Haplogroups pertain to a single line of descent, usually dating back thousands of years.
Humans migrated from eastern Africa about 175,000 years ago to populate the rest of the world. As they settled in various geographic areas, their DNA took on distinct markers, which created a genetic record of your ancestors’ journey throughout the ancient world. These markers define the haplogroup you belong to. People rarely moved between continents until around 500 years ago. As such, the report shows where people with your particular haplogroup lived for thousands of years.
As humans continued to spread out geographically, they also diversified genetically. Your paternal haplogroup is assigned by identifying a set of variants in your Y-DNA. When a variant arises in an individual and is passed down through the paternal line, it will be present in living descendants. It is by looking at the pattern of variants in today’s populations that geneticists can trace human genetic and migration history.
View a sample report here.
Four easy steps for your paternal lineage ancestry testing kit
Buy your collection kit
Collect your cheek cell DNA samples
Post back to our laboratory
Receive your results by email in 4 – 5 weeks
What’s included in your paternal lineage ancestry kit?
- Your haplogroup, which represents the area of the world your ancestors came from.
- A personalised map showing your ancestors’ journey and where they initially settled in the ancient world.
- Your Y-DNA raw data, which you can use for further research in many publicly available databases and ancestry projects.
- Facts about your haplogroup, including which parts of the world you can find your ‘genetic cousins’ and famous people who share your haplogroup.