Why choose AlphaBiolabs for your Y chromosome test?
- We have over 10 years’ experience of performing Y chromosome testing
- Just £199 for confidential next day results or upgrade to
same dayresults for an extra £70
- The UK’s fastest DNA Y chromosome test. Why wait?
- We use the very latest Promega PowerPlex® Y23 multiplex technology
- Award-winning UK laboratory: Queen’s Award for Enterprise
- Trusted by ITV to provide DNA testing to The Jeremy Kyle Show
The UK’s best-selling Y chromosome test kit
Four Easy Steps for your Y Chromosome Test
Buy your collection kit
Collect your cheek cell DNA samples
Post back to our laboratory using freepost envelope provided
Receive your results by email
How we do our DNA testing
We utilise the most up-to-date DNA testing technology to ensure the reliability and accuracy of our genetic testing. For your peace of mind, we use the latest 23 marker Promega PowerPlex® Y23 system.
Our Y chromosome test kit includes mouth swabs to be rubbed gently and painlessly on the inside of the cheek, therefore no blood is required.
About the Y chromosome test
A Y chromosome test (Y-STR test) is used in cases where alleged male relatives wish to confirm they share a common paternal line. All male children inherit their Y chromosome from their father; these children will in turn pass the Y chromosome inherited from their father to their children when they become fathers.
This inheritance pattern means that males coming from the same paternal line will always share the same Y chromosome. Furthermore, the low mutation rate of the Y chromosome makes this test all the more reliable.
The Y chromosome is only found in males. Females do not have Y chromosomes. This means that although females cannot directly carry out a Y chromosome test, they can ask a male, paternal biological relative to take the test on their behalf.
When would a Y chromosome test be needed?
A Y chromosome test can help confirm if individuals share a common paternal lineage.
This test will compare the Y chromosome profiles of the tested males. A full match between profiles confirms a shared paternal line. If the males have different Y chromosome profiles then they do not share the same paternal line.
Other uses of the Y chromosome test include male cousins who can use this test to see if their fathers were brothers or to check if they shared a common grandfather or ancestor. In Immigration cases, the Y chromosome test can be used as proof of relationship but this requires a legal test. For further advice call our expert team on 0333 600 1300.
What’s in our Y chromosome test kit?
Our Y chromosome testing kit contains enough collection swabs to test two males.
Enclosed in our Y chromosome test kit:
- Peace of Mind DNA test request/consent form
- Full instructions on how to take the Y chromosome test and return the samples
- A freepost self-addressed envelope to send your DNA test samples back to us
- Two DNA sample collection swab packages containing two swabs in each package
- Individual DNA test sample envelopes for the individual males
If you want to test more than two males with the same test, you can add extra males to the package when ordering and more swabs will also be provided in the test kit.