Supplier name: AlphaBiolaboratories Ltd
Publication date: 23/11/23
Commitment to achieving Net Zero
AlphaBiolabs is committed to achieving Net Zero emissions by 2043.
Baseline Emissions Footprint
Baseline emissions are a record of the greenhouse gases that have been produced in the past and were produced prior to the introduction of any strategies to reduce emissions. Baseline emissions are the reference point against which emissions reduction can be measured.
|Baseline Year: 2022-23|
|Additional Details relating to the Baseline Emissions calculations|
AlphaBiolabs had originally collected emissions data between March 2021 and February 2022 to set a baseline, however full scope 3 emission data was not collected or reported when this baseline was set. Following collection of further scope 3 emission data, the baseline has been reset using data from April 2022 – April 2023. All relevant scope 3 emissions have now been included in the baseline.
Scope 3 categories included in our baseline emissions calculations are as follows:
|Category 1||Purchased Goods and Services||Included|
|Category 2||Capital Goods||Not required, included in Category 1|
|Category 3||Fuel and Energy Related Activities Not Included in Scope 1 or Scope 2||Included|
|Category 4||Upstream Transportation and Distribution||Not required, included in Category 1|
|Category 5||Waste Generated in Operations||Included|
|Category 6||Business Travel||Included|
|Category 7||Employee Commuting/Home Working||Included|
|Category 8||Upstream Leased Assets||N/A|
|Category 9||Downstream Transportation and Distribution||Included|
|Category 10||Processing of Sold Products||N/A|
|Category 11||Use of Sold Products||N/A|
|Category 12||End-of-life Treatment of Sold Products||Included|
|Category 13||Downstream Leased Assets||N/A|
|Baseline year emissions: 2022-2023|
Current Emissions Reporting
|Reporting Year: 2022 – 2023|
Emissions reduction targets
In order to continue our progress to achieving Net Zero, we have adopted the following carbon reduction targets.
We will reduce our carbon emissions to achieve NetZero by 2043 and will put in place interim targets to ensure sufficient progress is made.
We project that carbon emissions will decrease over the next five years to 913 tCO2e by 2028. This is a reduction of 25%.
Progress against these targets can be seen in the graph below:
Carbon Reduction Projects
Completed Carbon Reduction Initiatives
The following environmental management measures and projects have been completed or implemented to date, and the measures will be in effect when performing the contract. It is not possible to see what reduction in carbon emission the measures already taken have achieved as the current year is the baseline.
Carbon reduction initiatives implemented to date:
- Launched a hybrid approach to working for office-based staff
- Launched a hybrid approach to board and management meetings
- Light sensors
- Increased recycling capability across sites
- Turning off laboratory equipment/monitors/computers when not in use
- Installation of instant hot water dispensers
- Reduction in paper-based systems
- Online client meetings
- 100% of waste generated on site is diverted away from landfill
In the future we hope to implement further measures such as:
- ISO 14001 Environmental certification in 2024
- Review of appliances for energy efficiency
- Review and assessment of heating processes
- Reduced business travel
- Increasing the adoption of electric company lease vehicles
- Introduction of ‘Bike to Work’ scheme for employees
- Creation of environmental champions across the business
- Targets and incentives for teams across the business to reduce waste
- Sourcing energy from green energy suppliers
- Promotion of lift share/free bus service for employees
- Improvements to light sensors to reduce lighting used in low use areas
- Banning of portable heaters
- Switch to LED lighting in all locations
- Increasing requirement for suppliers to have, or be working to, ISO 14001
Actions and measures for carbon reduction will be subject to review every 12 months as a minimum and this plan will be subject to republication on an annual basis.
Declaration and Sign Off
This Carbon Reduction Plan has been completed in accordance with PPN 06/21 and associated guidance and reporting standard for Carbon Reduction Plans.
Emissions have been reported and recorded in accordance with the published reporting standard for Carbon Reduction Plans and the GHG Reporting Protocol corporate standard1 and uses the appropriate Government emission conversion factors for greenhouse gas company reporting2
Scope 1 and Scope 2 emissions have been reported in accordance with SECR requirements, and the required subset of Scope 3 emissions have been reported in accordance with the published reporting standard for Carbon Reduction Plans and the Corporate Value Chain (Scope 3) Standard3
This Carbon Reduction Plan has been reviewed and signed off by the board of directors (or equivalent management body).