- Unlock your maternal heritage today for only £199!
- Simple test involves cheek cell collection, no blood required
- Results in 5–6 weeks from receipt of sample at the laboratory
- Our DNA tests are trusted by TV production companies such as ITV and the BBC
Maternal lineage ancestry testing from AlphaBiolabs
By testing your mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA), AlphaBiolabs can reveal your ancient maternal heritage. This test is based on the fact that mtDNA is maternally inherited and so enables genealogical researchers to trace maternal lineage far back in time. In a similar way Y-chromosomal DNA is paternally inherited and is used to determine the patrilineal history (see Paternal lineage).
The exclusive maternal contribution of mtDNA means that your maternal line can traced as far back as a clan’s maternal founder.
Four easy steps for your maternal lineage ancestry testing kit
Buy your collection kit
Collect your cheek cell DNA samples
Post back to our laboratory
Receive your results by email in 5 – 6 weeks
Discover your haplogroup
The specificity of your mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA) can even place you in a haplogroup. Haplogroups pertain to a single line of descent, usually dating back thousands of years.
Humans migrated from eastern Africa about 175,000 years ago to populate the rest of the world. As they settled in various geographic areas, their DNA took on distinct markers, which created a genetic record of your ancestors’ journey throughout the ancient world. These markers define the haplogroup you belong to. People rarely moved between continents until around 500 years ago. As such, the report shows where people with your particular haplogroup lived for thousands of years.
As humans continued to spread out geographically, they also diversified genetically. Your maternal haplogroup is assigned by identifying a set of variants in your mtDNA. When a variant arises in an individual and is passed down through the maternal line, it will be present in living descendants. It is by looking at the pattern of variants in today’s populations that geneticists can trace human genetic and migration history.
View a sample report here.
What’s included in your maternal lineage ancestry kit?
- Your haplogroup, which represents the area of the world your ancestors came from
- A personalised map depicting your ancestors’ journey and where they initially settled in the ancient world
- Your mtDNA raw data, listing the differences between your sequence and that of the revised Cambridge Reference Sequence, which you can use for further research in many publicly available databases and ancestry projects
- Facts about your haplogroup, including which parts of the world you can find your ‘genetic cousins’ and famous people who share your haplogroup
Order a maternal lineage ancestry test now for £199.00 with results in 5-6 weeks.